Men are in need of improvement. This opinion is surely shared by all women. How many times have I heard female friends speak – only half in jest – of their boyfriends, partners and husbands as if they were pets to be trained, or as another ‘child’ in the house, or as projects? Inherent in this approach is the idea that the man is currently not meeting (her) expectations. And how many times have I heard that the girlfriend/partner/wife is the best thing that’s happened to him, that she straightened him out, that she tamed and domesticated him? And how many times more have I myself wished for certain underdeveloped, socially inept men to find a partner who would teach him and improve him so that I no longer had to interact with a Neanderthal?Read More »
Not heavy. Intense. That’s how I want to describe Forushande (The Salesman). Only when the end credits started rolling did I allowemyself to breathe again. The film is naked and honest without being either raw or banal.Read More »
It’s not, but it might as well be, because the next two weeks are going to be awwwwwwwwesome! Bear with me while I list the reasons!!!!
12 days later, let’s see how reality matched up to expectations.
- First work trip ever! to Bonn! And I only have two real responsibilities: take photos and take care of the Gambian minister of forests and environment during our event.
That was fun. Learned a lot about events, which will serve me well. That night post-event was crazy: dude from one of our sponsors went to have a drink (read: 4) with me, the other intern and our 69-year-old colleague. In a word, madness. Then the other intern and I wandered Bad Godesberg until the hotel’s breakfast buffet opened = worst idea ever, but somehow so much fun, and I have to laugh every time I think back to it. Had really good convos with him. The 2 hours we had in Bonn proper the next day was loads of fun too.
- Going to Amsterdam! Uppsala reunion – 9 of us in total!!! Including some friends I haven’t seen since June ’09!
No explanation needed beyond the fact that these people are awesome. Lots of food involved. Plus: Speculoos spread (which is actually Belgian, but I can’t get it in Germany) is amazing.
- Will be on a train for 8 hours next week. I love trains! I think it’s because I hardly ever take it (buses/planes are cheaper). Picked out my reading material already – can finally start The Brothers Karamazov!
I LOVE DOSTOEVSKY!
- My paper(s) will be done in 24 hours! They’ve been making me miserable for 3 months now!
Thank god that’s done.
- MY INTERNSHIP GOT EXTENDED YO. The new media intern starts next week. My semester starts in two weeks (it’s no coincidence, we planned it this way). From then on I do 1 day/week, mainly translation and proofreading work. With a 250% pay raise. This goes until end of January. Then starting in March my supervisor wants to bring me back for a project/event that culminates in October in India. Also paid. God I love my life right now…
Sooo… the new intern is really nice and really cool. We had a media dept pow-wow today and it was odd to have to share my responsibilities. Bah, anyway.
- New semester starts in two weeks, as I mentioned. Will be good to see my lovely classmates and friends again :)
- Looking forward to having more free time to take up a German language course!
Trying to decide between 4 hours on Wed retaking the course I did last semester, or paying 280 eur for 72 hours over 8 weeks. The attraction of the latter option is that it’s 2.5 hours per session, 3 sessions per week.
- FilmFest Hamburg looks great. I’m normally not a big film person but these really look good and I have the time this weekend and also the money (I save so much money when I guilt myself into not socialising because of school work) so I’m def seeing at *least* one.
Was too lazy to go.
- Long weekend! Monday is the 3rd of October – German Reunification Day. Mad baking of cakes!
No baking. But I did just whip up a pumpkin pie.
- The Saturday Adventure is back! (because of #4) I think we’re doing another outdoorsy semi-rural walk.
Good walk in the woods with two of my fav fellow foreign classmates: Logan and Kate.
- The weather has been un-freakin-believably gorgeous the past week. Summer, finally!
Spent the weekend outdoors. Now the weather is ganz scheiß…
I’m such a lucky person. For the things listed above, but also for being this happy.